Four must have Documents


1.    A Will

Where there’s a Will there’s a way to provide for your loved ones and avoid a family dispute!
Every responsible Australian over the age of 18 is advised to think seriously about making a Will because we cannot predict when we will die.

What is a Will ?
A Will is a legal document that describes how your belongings and assets, (including your property, money, investments, jewellery, etc.) are to be distributed after your death.
A Will can be altered if your situation changes. Some examples would be: marriage, divorce, one of your beneficiaries goes bankrupt, an inheritance or a big win on Lotto!

2.    An Enduring Power of Attorney

So you keep control of your assets when you can’t look after them yourself
If you were unable to handle your own financial affairs because of something like illness, a car accident or travel overseas you would need to appoint a trusted person who could act for you.

This is a document which allows someone else to look after your financial affairs and to act on your behalf. The powers can be general, ongoing or only for a specific task or time.
For example, if you are overseas during the time your house is on the market, your Power of Attorney can detail your instructions and allow the appointed person to handle the sale.
Another example   would be  for  a  couple  to  give  each  other  a  Power  of  Attorney  in  case  one  becomes  very  ill or incapacitated for some reason. (e.g. mental illness, like dementia).
The person you appoint may be a member of your family, a trusted friend or someone like your solicitor.  You may change or cancel your Power of Attorney at any time while you are capable of making your own decisions.
Your Attorney has the same powers as you over your assets and money so it is very important that your Power of Attorney is carefully prepared so your attorney can do only what you intend them to do.
We would be happy to advise you about preparing a Power of Attorney.

3.    Enduring Guardianship

Appointing an enduring guardian allows a loved one or another trusted person to protect you when you cannot do so.
We would all like to ensure that our loved ones know what we believe and what we want when we are unable to make the choice   ourselves,  such  as  whether  we  go  into  a  Nursing  Home. But  sometimes  this  is not possible if we become very sick or have an accident.

An enduring guardian is someone you choose to make lifestyle and health decisions for you when you are not capable of doing this yourself. This differs from a Power of Attorney which is specifically about your money and property.

4.    Advance Care Directive

This allows you to state your wishes on vital health issues.
We  would  all  like  to  ensure  that  our  loved  ones  know  what  we  believe  and  what  we  want  when  we  are unable to make the choice ourselves, such as whether we go into a Nursing Home, which doctor we go to, what medical treatment we receive.

An Advance Care Directive outlines your wishes regarding your health care.
An Advance Care Directive can determine what medical treatment you want, if any, should you:
•    have an irreversible illness, disease or injury;
•    acquire a disability which means that you could be permanently dependent on others for care;
•    have a terminal condition;
•    require artificially invasive medical procedures to prolong life;
•    want to die as naturally and as comfortably as possible, free of pain;
•    sustain brain damage but remain alive and totally dependent due to profound neurological impairment;
•    require resuscitation or rehabilitation;
•    choose to donate any organs for research or to benefit another person.

We can discuss your circumstances with you and we can help you plan ahead.
These 4 important documents should be in your records.


Contact us on 4397 2233 to make an appointment.
Feel Secure by Being Prepared